Monday, May 31, 2010

The Golden Gate Bridge

I am specifically living in Benicia this summer. Benicia is in the East Bay (North-East Bay). It's a bed a breakfast sort of town. About 10 miles north is Vallejo. Vallejo is a working town. It is not a nice place to visit. However, it has one redeeming quality. There is a Ferry that leaves downtown Vallejo and drops you off an Fisherman's Wharf in downtown San Fransisco. My biking goal of the day was to bike across the Golden Gate Bridge. Which is only about 6 miles from Fisherman's Wharf.

I did not started biking until around 12:30 due to morning errands. I biked from Benicia to Vallejo without incident. The 1 hour ferry ride from Vallejo to Fisherman's Wharf was spectacular. I especially enjoyed the approach on the city. The city was blanketed in fog which I would later discover was the norm. As we approached Fisherman's Wharf half of the Golden Gate Bridge was clearly visible and the other half was drown in fog.

I got off the ferry and I was cold! The temperature difference between Vallejo and San Fransisco must have been 20 degrees. I was wearing warm weather riding clothes. This outfit was inadequate for the conditions. Not only was I cold, I felt overwhelmed in a strange place. The wharf was loud and busy. I couldn't see anyone else on a bike. I felt completely out of place and contemplated getting back on the ferry. But my mission was set, I would cross the bridge!

About five blocks west of Fisherman's Wharf I escaped the hustle and bustle. I felt better. I even saw a guy on a road bike with similar attire. Although most other bikers were wearing jackets.

I reached the bridge.

The Golden Gate Bridge is truly spectacular. I visited it once when I was younger. I didn't appreciate the significance of it at that age. It is a masterpiece of Engineering. And, it is an incredible example of man-made beauty. While man is destroying oceans (The Gulf), it is very refreshing to come across engineering which is simply gorgeous.

About half was across the bridge the fog cleared as the view from the ferry had suggested it would. I also discovered in a later conversation that, in the summer, the downtown side of the bridge is always covered in fog and the north shore of the bridge is always crystal clear. The sun energized me and I pushed on 10 more miles up through Golden Gate National Recreation Area. I was really enjoying myself and turning around was difficult. But...I had a ferry to catch.

I made it back across the bridge and caught the 5:40 ferry back to Vallejo. On the ferry ride home I met two Italians. One of them lived in Napa and worked as a CPA. The other lived in Milan and worked as Managing Editor (For the Catholic Church, believe it or not!). The pair had grown up together in Italy and had stayed in touch. They were very interested in my ride and bought me a beer (The ferry had a bar.). The conversation was a good one and it eventually drifted into concepts the Vinny (Don Vinecnzo, the Italian) was incapable of explaining in English. However, I believe Vinny wanted to completely restructure society or he might have just wanted new socks. Anyway, he invited me to visit him in Milan and left me his card. I plan to take him up on the offer.

Enough about the day...On to the food! Last night's dinner:

-Chicken 'chunks' marinated in Italian dressing (left over from last night), Cajun spice (left over from last night), and Soy sauce.
-The chicken was then baked from in the oven.
-After baking, it was covered in a butter and cayenne pepper hot sauce.
-The salad was dressed with the remaining Italian dressing.

This was delicious. Imagine bite sized Buffalo wings.

I already made tonight's dinner. But, I am going to share that one with you later in the week. I start work tomorrow and I am scared I might not have time in the week for culinary exploits. Therefore, I will keep you held over until next weekend I will share tonight's dinner in the middle of the coming week.

Wish me luck at work tomorrow and stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. I bet you rocked it at work today big guy!!

    keep up with the nicely presented food....

    ReplyDelete