Sunday, May 30, 2010

First Entry

I just moved out to Bay Area for a summer internship in engineering. It is the summer before my senior year at the University of Arizona in Tucson, AZ. The Bay has already had its 'esoteric' effect on me. I feel healthier, I am eating better, and I am starting a blog. Enough said, right? I hope that this blog will document my journey this summer and hopefully share some personal insight about myself and my thoughts on the world.

Why did i choose 'Biking and Bites'? Well first of all, I have always been obsessed with alliterations. 90% of my academic essays have utilized alliterations in their titles. I wonder if any of my professors noticed that? Probably not, considering they never read student's papers.

As for 'Biking', when I moved out here I made a promise to myself that I would buy a road bike. And, I did! Check out the photo. Sweet right? I got a good deal on it, if there is such a thing in the biking world. Parts cost 8x as much in the US as they cost to make in Taiwan. But well, that is the way the world works, for now at least.

I have clocked about 100 miles in only 3 days of ownership. I am simply obsessed. I have always enjoyed traveling for the sake of traveling. Departure locations and destinations are never my concern. I solely enjoy being in motion. Biking seems to be the perfect fit for my soul's needs.

'Bites'? Well, I am a chemical engineering student. A long time ago, I realized that cooking is really just chemistry. I am a good chemist and for that reason believe my cooking should parallel my other talents. However, I have never tried to cook well thoughtout and well prepared meals. I have vowed that my lax performance in the culinary world will change this summer. So far I have been very successful. Check out last night's dinner! I want all you fellow college kids out there to know that all my cooking will be done with 1 fork, 1 spoon, 1 knife, 1 zip-lock bag, 1 pot, 1 sauce pan, 1 small bowl, 1 plate, and 1 cookie sheet. I own no other 'glassware' and since I am only here for the summer I have no plans on buying any.

Cajun Club:
-Chicken breast sauteed in Cajun spices with melted swiz cheese.
-Sauteed bacon
-Chicken/swiss placed on artisan garlic bread, covered with bacon, covered with fresh tomato slices, topped with Parmesan dressing.

Note the bacon grease dripped onto the table. That's how you know it is going to taste delicious!

1 comment:

  1. I always do that as well, even with my research stuff! Example: "Spirituality and Support...".

    Glad you're doing well out there man. I plan to trek to Cali sometime at the end of July, beginning of August....

    ReplyDelete